GPS coordinates: 49.646, -54.7581
Getting to Newfoundland
Twillingate is located on the Kittiwake Coast, at the end of the Road to the Isles on Canada’s north east coast.
While only one road will ultimately bring you to the town of Twillingate there are numerous options to get you onto Newfoundland Island. These options include:
Convenient direct flights arrive from many major cities throughout North America and Europe to Gander, St. John’s, Deer Lake, and Stephenville on Newfoundland Island.
- Gander Airport is 90 minutes from Twillingate.
- St. John’s International Airport (YYT) is a 5.5 hour drive away.
Nova Scotia to Newfoundland
Several automobile ferry options, operated by Marine Atlantic, could be considered if you wish to drive to the island portion of the province (i.e., Newfoundland Island). From Nova Scotia, two ferry services are scheduled between North Sydney and Newfoundland Island:
- The first is the year-round North Sydney to Port-aux-Basques route (total crossing time is 5.5-6 hours).
- The second ferry route operates during peak tourism season — June through September — between North Sydney and Argentia (total crossing time is 14 hours).
Labrador to Newfoundland
A thorough trip to our province would include visits to both Newfoundland and Labrador (the mainland portion of the province).
Again, two ferry options exist that connect Labrador with the island of Newfoundland:
- The first is a short crossing between Blanc Sablon and St. Barbe.
- The second service connects Cartwright and Goose Bay, Labrador with Lewisporte (this crossing operates June through September and takes approximately 35 hours for the entire trip). This ferry service provides the most direct access to the Twillingate area.
Once you have arrived on the island of Newfoundland there are three driving routes to Twillingate to choose from:
From the West Coast of Newfoundland
From the western part of the province (i.e., coming from Port-aux-Basque, Gros Morne National Park, or Grand Falls) take Route 340 at Lewisporte all the way to Twillingate (total driving time 1 hour, 30 minutes on the “Road to the Isles”).
Just as you enter the community of Lewisporte you will have to make a right turn to remain on Route 340. The scenic drive sign, “Road to the Isles,” becomes obvious once you leave Boyd’s Cove. Here, you will cross the first of four causeways that connect the Isles — Chapel Island, New World Island, and the Twillingate Islands, all off the coast of the island of Newfoundland. (No ferries needed!)
From the East Coast of Newfoundland
Two separate driving options are possible to arrive at Twillingate:
If you are coming from the eastern part of the province (i.e., driving from St. John’s or Terra Nova National Park), take the longer, scenic route:
- Route 320 at Gambo and drive the “Road to the Shore” and then
- drive Route 331 at Gander Bay
- (total driving time to Twillingate is 2 hours, 30 minutes).
The alternative is to take the faster route:
- Route 330 at Gander, and again take
- Route 331 at Gander Bay
- Route 331 will eventually provide access to Route 340. Turn left on Route 340 to drive to Twillingate.
- (total driving time to Twillingate is 1 hour, 45 minutes).
The Alphabet Fleet Inn is located at 24 Toulinquet Street (Also part of Route 340) which is the street you will be driving on as you enter Twillingate. Just look for us on your left – the first accommodations as you get to Twillingate!